Author Topic: (Resolved) Using my own Arris TM502G phone/internet modem  (Read 2269 times)

Offline subsky

• View Profile
(Resolved) Using my own Arris TM502G phone/internet modem
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
I'm new to Mediacom. I have Medicacom's RCA phone/internet modem for my phone/internet package. I'm trying to get out from under the Mediacom rental fees.

Tech support has been very nice to work with both here in Gulf Breeze and in the Philippines. However all attempts to provision my ARRIS phone side of the ARRIS modem has failed. I got as far as a blinking green light, but no dial tone.

Talking to various support people, I've gleaned that there is a specific firmware "fix" introduced to this model by Mediacom.

I'm a bit confused reading the topic board. One support person here stated that if one uses their own internet modem then the phone modem will be supplied by Medicacom gratis.

Now I'm wondering, since the internet works with my Arris, can I use that for the internet and reduce my rental costs?
OR
Is there a way to get the firmware fix so my ARRIS phone side will work.

Thanks,
Allen
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:43:50 PM by MediacomDallas »

MediacomJames

Re: Using my own Arris TM502G phone/internet modem
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
That definitely sounds like an issue with the firmware.  I can get a ticket in to have the correct firmware pushed to the modem, though we would need for you to connect the modem to a cable outlet so that the modem can come online so that we can see what firmware is on it as well as to push the update.

The rental fee for the phone modem was introduced a few months back, the posts that you have seen regarding the gratis phone modem rental were prior to that change going into effect.

Offline subsky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
That sounds great. I've not used this forum before. Can we set up a time when I can put the Arris on-line. I assume you'll need the MAC addresses.
Or
Should I call someone and refer to this ticket?
I don't know how your support work, but seems not everyone there knows how or TO do this.

Thanks so much,
Allen

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
Yes, we will need the MAC address and we can get that pushed at any time.  If you wouldn't mind,  PM me with your MAC and let me know when the unit is hooked to cable and powered on.  We can push this any time!

Offline subsky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »
Hi Drew,
How do I get in contact with you to obtain the firmware patch? What shift do you work?
Thanks and excited in Gulf Breeze,
Allen

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:22:12 AM »
I'm here most mornings, but any one of the moderators will be able to pick up the MAC and have this pushed out.  If you'd like, send me a Personal Message with the MAC address.  If I'm not here, these are still shared among the moderators, and one of the others will collect it.

Once we have the MAC and can verify that the unit has an online presence, we can push firmware.  This usually takes 10-15 minutes.

Offline subsky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »
Thanks so much for the help. After talking with a couple of support people today I got the firmware and the modem is working with both phone and internet.

I appreciate the help.

I assume I should return the Mediacom RCA modem to the GB office. Will I continue to be charged the rental fee until that time?

Thanks,
Allen

MediacomCarson

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »
Yes, you'll want to return that modem or the fee will continue.