Author Topic: internet keeps going out  (Read 2961 times)

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
internet keeps going out
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
For the past few days my internet keeps dropping. Getting really frustrating. It is down now. Think it may be the modem. Ran the test on the mediacom app and it says modem is having trouble communicating

Offline MediacomRoyal

• View Profile
Re: internet keeps going out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
Hey there whitebengal50; thanks for the post!  I do see your modem is offline, but there are others with you offline as well, so this doesn't look like a modem specific issue at the moment, more like a street level outage.  I will send this up now to be investigated and hopefully everyone will come back up soon.

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:01:22 AM »
Thanks. This has been happening ALOT lately. Hopefully they get whatever issues they have been having fixed soon.

Offline MediacomRoyal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
Hello whitebengal50.  There was some maintenance in your area overnight which is now complete and I see your modem is back online.  There is one signal level off that the history shows has been running a bit high for a while.  Do you see a splitter on the coax cable line that connects to the modem?  A bad splitter can cause the modem to increase transmit power and after a while of high transmit the modem will start to reset itself to try to overcome it.  If there is a splitter, we would need to try taking it off the line for a few minutes to see if the levels adjust.  If there is not a splitter, we can try a hard reset of the modem to clear out any static that may have built up on the line.  To do this we'll need to pull the power cord directly from the back of the modem and then unscrew the coax cable from the back of the modem as well.  Wait about 30 seconds, then reconnect the power, and then screw the coax cable back on.  When the modem has come completely back up, we'll see if the transmit power has improved and if not, we'll need to get a tech out there before the modem gets fried.  Would you be able to try these things and let me know how it goes?

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
I can try these when i get home today. It is out again this morning but modem is on. Is this Mediacom or my modem this time?

Offline MediacomDrew

• Administrator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »
I have several modems down, and it has been reported to our NetOps team, but it looks like yours is online at this time.  Have you been able to connect once again this morning?

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »
At work now so not sure. This has been going on for a few days now. Getting agravating.

Offline MediacomDrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »
Okay thanks!  It looks like transmit levels are still quite high, as Royal mentioned, so we'll definitely want to get this back in line.  If bypassing splitters, etc. proves fruitless, then it may ultimately be best to have a technician investigate further on-site.  If needed, we can have this appointment scheduled.

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Not home yet but wife says internet is still down. Are you showing other modems down?

Offline MediacomCraig

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
I'm showing some other modems offline at this time but I see your modem is currently online. The upstream RX is still on the lower side though. Once you get home would you be able to check for those splitters and/or amplifiers and bypass them if possible?

Thanks,
Craig

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »
Ill check it when i get home, but i thought the other support guys  said it  was running high, not low.

Offline MediacomCraig

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
I did see the upstream TX was quite high and the upstream RX was too low. At this time though they're currently within range though. These fluctuating signal levels could be caused by the splitter so I'd like to bypass them temporarily to see if this improves the consistency of the signal levels.

Thanks,
Craig

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »
No splitter but the tech guy ran the cable to the tivo network box and then ran the box to the modem. I undid the cable, let it sit for a few, then hooked it back up.

Offline MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
Okay, in that case it may be best to get a tech out to take a look. Can I set that up for you?

Chris

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 06:31:22 PM »
is it still showing high, and could it be caused by all the issues you are having? Internet has gone down multiple times, sometimes for hours and hours and everytime I check there are multiple modems down. Just went down for a few mins again a little while ago.

Offline MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »
Looking at the signal history, I don't think so. We aren't seeing the same thing in the entire area, so I don't think so.

Chris

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »
we can schedule a tech but in the mean time the internet is down yet again. They need to fix this. 5 days now and they still havent gotten it resolved. This is getting really really aggrivating.

Offline MediacomDrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:01:18 AM »
I'll have this appointment scheduled and PM you the details in just a few moments!

Offline whitebengal50

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »
Thx, but any idea when they will actually fix the issues they have been having? A weak signal is not as big of a deal right now as no internet for big chunks of the day for the past five days.

Offline MediacomDrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »
The trouble with these power levels is likely causing the intermittency, as the modem will cycle as these fluctuate in an effort to manage them.  Once these levels are adjusted and brought back in line, this trouble should disappear.