Author Topic: 20 mbps internet  (Read 2084 times)

Offline jdeagle1

• View Profile
20 mbps internet
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
I got the 20 mbps service a little over a month ago.  It hasn't worked properly since I got it.  I've done the computer/modem restart troubleshooting a dozen times.  The same technician has come twice to check it.  On the second visit, he told me that the problem source was not on my property...perhaps it was on the line running parallel to the road.  Another technician came and checked that line and found no problem.  Another technician is coming next week, but I predict nothing will be fixed.  When I run speedtest, I usually get 5 or less mbps.  Sometimes when I run speedtest, the meter jigs wildly back and forth, jumping from 0mbps to 100mbps.  I always get an "F" when I run pingtest.  Sometimes the internet doesn't work at all for hours at a time.  When this happens, I run diagnostics and my error message is "DNS server not responding".  When the internet is working, I often have to open a webpage two or three times for it to finally load.  Downloads and video streaming are no better than my previous service which was 1.5 mbps.  Can someone please help?

MediacomMike

Re: 20 mbps internet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
I apologize about the slow speeds you're experiencing.  Please send me a private message including your phone number or account number, I'd like to take a closer look into this.

MediacomBill

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
I see the tech was out and replaced your modem. Did this resolve the issue.

Offline jdeagle1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:44:40 PM »
No it did not.  We haven't had the extended blackouts in a while, but now the internet stops working in short bursts of a few minutes.  Due to this and slow nighttime speeds, our wireless streaming devices such as Wii and Blu-Ray have been rendered almost completely useless. Otherwise all the problems I outlined in the original post are still the same.  It's hard to say for sure, but I think the service is much slower during inclement weather.  I know for sure it is much slower at night.  I think after four technician visits we have conclusively shown that the problem does not lie in my equipment, wiring, etc.  Instead, Mediacom seems unable to provide the service for which I am paying.  It is very disappointing to switch from 1.5 mbps service to 20 mbps only to find that I've actually downgraded and am paying more than I was.

Offline MediacomDallas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
I am sorry this still isn't resolved; I'm looking into this now.

Offline MediacomDallas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:12:50 PM »
We're going to forward this to the local tech management to see if they can provide any insight into whats going on here. One of us will keep you posted with what we find out.

MediacomTom

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »
The supervisor will be running tests starting today and will likely have a tech out to investigate sometime near the end of this week. We will update you on the progress of this ASAP.

Offline jdeagle1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
Thank you for moving this along. This new modem is making things very bad for me. It is much worse than before it was installed. Would it be possible to get the same one I had? No need to send someone. If you ship it I can ship the new one back. As it is, I can barely do anything. I work part time for a data recovery company from home and I can't keep this up.

MediacomMike

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »
Unfortunately we're unable to ship a modem to you.  We would need a technician to the home to have the device swapped out or you could run the modem and it's power cable to your local Mediacom office to have a different model issued to you.

Offline jdeagle1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »
I would like to go to my local office and get my old model, but I can't find a phone # to verify they have what I need.  The closest office is in Marion, IL.

MediacomMike

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I can give that local office a call for you if you'd like.  Do you know what model of modem you had beforehand?

Offline jdeagle1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
I know it was a Netgear modem/router. I pm'd the model# to you last week, but I can't figure out how to browse my old messages.

MediacomMike

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
I've looked up the PM in question and do have the model number.  I'll give that local office a call now.

MediacomMike

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
I'm unable to get an answer there at this time.  I believe the staff is at lunch.  I'll give them another call at 1PMCST.

MediacomMike

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
I'm still unable to reach anyone with the number I have listed for that office.  I can basically assure you they will have the Netgear model on hand, but unfortunately I'm unable to reach anyone to confirm it.