Author Topic: Netgear R7000 won't pull IP  (Read 2564 times)

Offline khayman

• View Profile
Netgear R7000 won't pull IP
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
I'm having a lot of trouble getting this router to pull an IP and hold it from Mediacom. I first setup the router stand alone, not connected to the modem. When I finally hooked it up to the Cisco DCP3K and checked the Netgear status, it shows no Internet connection. Long story short, I fiddled with it for hours and finally decided to reset the Netgear and start from scratch. Shockingly after power cycling the Cisco and waiting for a while to hook up the newly reset Netgear, it pulled an IP to the router and I had Internet access. However, I did notice that in the Netgear settings, it hand't pulled or at least showed any DNS addresses, just a new IP/gateway from MC. Then when I rebooted the Netgear again it lost it's IP from MC and I'm right back where I started.

I know MC long since stopped with the MAC address registration stuff but for some reason I can't get the Netgear to acuire (except once) an IP or a MAC. The only odd thing is that my old router IP from MC was a 173.30.223 block and the brief time I had an IP on the new R7000 it was a 50.82 block. Also, when I bypass the router and go straight to my desktop, I have perfect Internet and it also pulls a 50.82 block.

Near as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the new R7000 but I just can't get it to pull and hold an IP/MAC. I tried calling MC tech but they have another issue in my area and aren't even accepting calls right now. I suppose that could be the reason my router can't get a stable IP but whenever I go straight from the cisco modem to my desktop it works perfectly.

Thanks for any tips,
Andy

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
Re: Netgear R7000 won't pull IP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Hi, thanks for bringing this to our attention.  The modem will search for connected devices upon boot up and assign IP addresses accordingly, linking these to the MAC under our DHCP tables.  Each time a new device is connected or swapped, the modem will need to be reset in order to scan for the newly attached device- even if it had been attached before.  If you are currently connected directly to the PC, then you will want to unplug the power from the modem before making a connection to a powered down Netgear.  Then, power up the modem- allowing it to fully boot up before finally plugging the Netgear back in.  This will allow both devices to handshake with one other and complete IP acquisition.

It is worth noting that there is an area-wide problem with IP handling at this time, so if you currently have connection, I would recommend leaving this until the problem can be resolved.  A reboot of the modem at this time may prevent it from reacquiring an IP address and reconnecting.  I don't have an ETR on this issue at this time, but hopefully we will see everything resolved in short order.

Offline khayman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply, Drew. I have basically tried a few times what you suggested to no avail. I've left the router and cisco off for an exagerated amount of time, powered the Cisco on and left it alone for a long time before powering up the router. None of that worked.

If the issue in my area is IP handling I think I will just wait and see if that gets resolved before I try the router again.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »
Definitely keep us posted!  If you continue to have difficulty with the router obtaining this information while other devices connect, then it will most likely be trouble wither with the hardware or within its configuration.  You may also try reverting the Netgear to factory defaults to see if it will connect again in a just-out-of-the-box state.

Offline khayman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
Well I have since tried again to pull an IP after I defaulted the router but no luck. It does seem very odd that my desktop can pull an IP just fine but the router acts for all the world like it's not even connected to the modem. It's also strange that my old modem pulls an IP as well. I suppose it's possible the router was defective right out of the box. I can't think of any setting I have overlooked or misconfigured with the router. I actually just set up a similar Netgear router over the holidays for my mom and she has mediacom as well. That one was flawless and my router has the same configuration interface so I'm pretty confident I didn't miss anything.

Offline MediacomMichael

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
At this point it would be best to contact Netgear to further troubleshoot this problem. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Offline khayman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »
I think I'm good now. It looks like they got things ironed out with their IP problem last night around 9'ish, shortly after that both my new and old router started working just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Offline MediacomMichael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
You're welcome! Please let us know if we can help with anything else.