Author Topic: How to get out of a 2 year contract??? Very angry customer  (Read 11410 times)

Offline runninrachel

• View Profile
Has anyone had any luck with getting out of a 2 year contract?? I am being moved for work, and the town I am moving to is not serviced to mediacom. As a result, mediacom wants me to pay them $180 to break my contract. However, when I signed up for the contract, I specifically asked whether or not moving would be a break in my contract and I was told that if I moved to an area not serviced by them, then tat would not be considered breaking my contract. Now, I am very irritated and pissed off because I am moving and they are telling me that I will need to pay the early termination fee.
I don't see how this is right... how am I responsible for paying the early termination fee when it is THEIR fault that they are not providing service to the area I am moving too??

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
Re: How to get out of a 2 year contract??? Very angry customer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:02:53 PM »
At this time, a move out of our service area does constitute a break in contract and an early termination fee- unless this is classified as a military move.  At this time, I do show the total early termination fee would be $180, though an offer was made to reduce this by half when you spoke with a supervisor.  We can provide this here as well, though we can certainly pull the original sales call to determine a full waiver of this charge.  If it was confirmed that moving out of the service area does not generate a termination fee we will work to fully remove it.

Offline runninrachel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:01:53 PM »
I would like the phone call pulled and sent to me for viewing, so I can listen to the conversation that occurred. Because, as I said, no where in this conversation was in mentioned that moving would be a break in the contract.

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
We are unable to have these calls pulled and sent out due to employee security, but I will certainly have this reviewed.  Early Termination Fees are all-inclusive, so there is not a specific line or clause highlighting out-of-area moves, but if this was specifically brought up and confirmed then we will certainly move to waive this fee.

Offline runninrachel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »
Can I also have a copy of your "contract"?

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
A copy of the subscriber agreement can be found here: http://mediacomcable.com/site/_pause_magazine/PAUSE_No_20_Spring_2012.pdf and in the back of every physical copy of the "Pause" magazine, beginning on page 60.  Because our contracts are verbal and can differ slightly depending on the services rendered, length of the contract, and other terms there are no physical copies that can be provided.  Further information that is covered can also be found in the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policies:

http://www.mediacomcc.com/HSD_Subscriber_Agreement.pdf
http://mediacomcable.com/site/legal.html ATTN: Promotional Agreement Terms

Offline MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:27 AM »
We were able to review the original sales call placed last October when services were ordered.  At that time, there was no mention of moving and the possibility of a waived ETF.  The verbal contract was agreed to in full, so this ETF does stand.  I do show that the supervisor you spoke with on the phone offered to reduce this by half, and we can certainly see to it that this is honored.

Offline CoMoMediacomSub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
I'm surprised by how many people are blindsided by ETFs. It's standard practice in telecom not to waive them when a customer moves. The closest I've seen to an exception is in wireless, where if you move to a place where you're roaming all the time, it costs the operator so much that it's more than happy to let you go without an ETF.

Every time I've renewed a contract with a cable provider, I've always first considered whether I might have to move before the contract ends.