Author Topic: Looking to get Mediacom Phone/Internet service. What modems are supported?  (Read 17890 times)

Offline Skash

• View Profile
Hi!  Looking to get Mediacom 3meg/512K Internet, and phone service (not cable TV, will keep existing satellite TV).  Have cheap Belkin wireless router that currently works with my Frontier internet, that I hope to continue to use.

Will switch to Mediacom if I can save money by providing my own modem.

Is there a "preferred" modem for my use, or even a combined modem/wireless router?  I want ease of use and reliability.

I see modems like the Motorola Surfboard SB6121 on amazon for $79.99 here...

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352484695&sr=1-1&keywords=cable+modem+3.0++wifi

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:28:38 PM by Skash »

MediacomBill

Re: Looking to get Mediacom Phone/Internet service. What modems are supported?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
Glad to help you with this.  You can buy an EMTA (phone and cable modem combined) from the local Mediacom office.

The Motorola SB6121 is not an EMTA, it is a Docis 3 cable modem. 

If you are looking online for an EMTA the Arris is one brand compatible with our system.

Offline Skash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks Bill!  OK I found an Arris TM802G here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arris-TM802G-DOCSIS-3-0-Telephony-Modem-tm822g-sb6220-/120884217227#vi-content

Is the TM802G compatible, and even if it is, is there another modem that you believe would offer better performance for my needs?

I'd like to switch to Mediacom ASAP!

MediacomBill

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
I will check if that model is compatible.  My gut reaction is yes but let me check for you.

MediacomBill

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
That model does NOT work with our system.

You would not need a Docsis 3 modem with the service level you are considering.

MediacomBill

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
The Arris models the work with our system are the 402G, 502G

We do not have a Docsis 3 EMTA bench tested for our system at this time.

Offline Skash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Oh, when I called Sales to inquire about service, she said I MUST get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (which is why I suggested the one that I did), and that a 2.0 will not work for phone and 3meg Internet.

So you're sure?

MediacomBill

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
Very sure. Sorry you got bad info on the phone.

Offline Skash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
No problem.  I appreciate the fact that you have these forums and respond so quickly.  I'm going to go ahead and get a TM502G as suggested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-TM502G-CX-8-Touchstone-Telephony-Cable-Modem-VoIP-with-Backup-Battery-/221151346261?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item337da5be55

Saves me $100 and makes the decision to switch to Mediacom a no-brainer!

Thanks!

MediacomBill

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »
Good luck and welcome to Mediacom!

Offline trbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
Curious on this topic.  I have phone/internet and currently rent an Arris modem.  Interested in buying a modem, but would really like to buy a DOCSIS 3.0 (even though the service level I have now does not require it) to "future proof" it to some extent.

I saw MediacomBill's comment in this thread that the Arris 802 will not work and that there at no tested DOCSIS 3.0 EMTAs.  Did he mean it will not work or it may not work (i.e. not tested, don't want to advise a customer to buy something that is not guaranteed to work)?  Am I wrong to think that a backwards compatible nextgen product from a manufacturer like Arris is likely to work fine?  Would like to purchase a product like the Arris TM822 or the Thomson/Technicolor/RCA DHG575 and be done with it.  Both are DOCSIS 3.0 EMTAs with no gateway.  Thoughts?

MediacomBill

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
I wanted to double check that for you.   There is one D3 EMTA that is approved for our network. It is the Cisco 3925.

Offline trbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 04:23:46 PM »
Thank you.  My only concern with that unit is that it comes with an integral gateway.  I already have a newer wireless router that I have configured how I like, etc.  I would rather not add a unit with a gateway to the mix because I'm concerned about configuring it.

I know you can't recommend a unit that Mediacom hasn't tested, but is there reason to believe the Thomson/RCA DHG 575 or the Arris TM722A will have issues?

MediacomBill

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Don't have a real good answer for you but  the EMTA's have a higher bar to pass in bench testing.  This is due to the dual nature of the modem.

Offline trbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Thank you.  Doing a little poking online and seeing that maybe I can bridge the gateway function of the Cisco DPC3925 to allow my exisitng router to handle the networking portion.  Does Mediacom sell the 3925?  How much and how do I buy?  Seeing that EMTA units are not terribly avaialble at retail, especially 3.0 units.

Offline MediacomJustin

• Global Moderator
  • Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Currently we do not sell the 3925 but are looking at possibly doing that in the future.  We currently sell the Technicolor DHG574 phone and internet modem for $149.95.

Offline trbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
Something like the DHG574 is just what I'm looking for.  DOCSIS 3.0, no gateway.  How do I get it?  Do I need to go to the local office or can I order it over the phone?

Offline MediacomJustin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
You should be able to order it over the phone, or in a local office.

Offline Airsailer2000

• View Profile
Reviving an old thread on this topic.  I just completed an order for phone service with Mediacom and we already use the internet service.  I am interested in purchasing the modem rather than renting it as well.  The install date is April 9.  Do you have a modem for phone/internet that you recommend at this time and where can the purchase be made if it must come from Mediacom?

Thanks in advance.

KJ

Offline MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
We sell an Thompson/RCA gateway modem for 149.99, but that has to be ordered over the phone and shipped to you. The local offices do not have them in stock to sell directly. If you want to purchase this modem let me know and we can have a rep call you to set this up.

Chris